At some point of time, we all have poked our fingers at these curious leaves only to see it shrivel up immediately. The opening and closing movement of the touch me not plant is amusing to say the least. This very act is so entertaining that one tries it several times, waiting for the leaves to open up again.
Touch Me Not Plant’s Scientific Name
This famously sensitive touch me not plant is scientifically named Mimosa pudica (from Latin: pudica “shy, bashful or shrinking”) In the UK it has gained the Royal Horticultural Society’s Award of Garden Merit.
Owing to its ‘shy’ nature, it is also called sensitive plant, sleepy plant, action plant, as well as shame plant. Yes, you read that right.
This perennial flowering plant is often touched, blown or shaken on purpose to see its compound leaves rapidly fold inward and droop, defending themselves from harm, and re-opening a few minutes later.
Like a number of other plant species, it undergoes changes in leaf orientation termed “sleep” or nyctinastic movement. The foliage closes during darkness and reopens in light.
Touch Me Not Plant Uses
This unique plant grows in moist and well-drained soil that is loose and loamy. this plant flourishes in areas of high humidity. It is easy to find, keep and maintain and has several uses.
- The touch me not plant can change the physico-chemical properties of the soil it invades. The total nitrogen and potassium levels are seen to increase significantly in areas where these plants are grown.
- They are common indoor plants but can be kept outdoors too, where they can enjoy plenty of sunlight. The touch me not plant provides excellent ornamental value to any garden and can be kept in brightly lit areas of your home.
- According to Vastu, it is beneficial if this plant is kept in the North direction.
- This multi purpose plant is more than just a sensitive plant. It’s several medicinal properties make it extremely useful to cure a long list of wounds and diseases. It can be used in liquid, powder or paste form. The touch me not plant’s leaves, seeds, roots and the plant as a whole is used in treating medical problems.
Side Effects of Touch Me Not Plant
While there is no denying that this plant has several health benefits, one must keep in mind that the overuse of anything isn’t good.
- Taking too much dosage of the touch me not plant can even be fatal. The tannin present in the plant can be toxic if ingested in high doses.
- People who are planning to get pregnant should especially avoid the use of this plant as it is used to prevent pregnancy.
- If one is already pregnant then you must avoid it at all cost.
If you are someone who suffers from constipation or has scanty periods, then it’s better to avoid the intake of the touch me not plant.
Touch Me Not Plant Health Benefits
This is a highly beneficial plant and has several medicinal benefits. Almost every part of the plant is used to extract benefits. It majorly possesses antibacterial, antivenom, antifertility, anticonvulsant, antidepressant, aphrodisiac, etc. that aid in treatment of several medical conditions.
Here are some of its widely known uses:
- Used for minor cuts and wounds
- To treat excessive bleeding during menstruation
- for curing piles or hemorrhoids
- to Improve sexual potency in men
- for joint pain or arthritis
- it treats diabetes, diarrhea, jaundice, stomach ache and intestinal worms
- to cure itching, gum problems and toothache
- for treatment of glandular swelling and hydrocele
- to uplift sagging breast
- for treating snake bites and insect bites
- for treating insomnia/sleeplessness, asthma, high blood pressure as well as hair loss problems.
The tiny leaves of the touch me not plant are a powerhouse of medicinal properties. Use them to your advantage!
Categories: Health and Fitness